PlayStation revealed through its official blog the winners of Game of the Year 2019, a recognition that the company makes every year to the best of the industry. Nearly one million votes were cast in 17 categories to select the most outstanding titles of the year.
2019: the best video games are here
There is no doubt that the Death Stranding phenomenon did not go unnoticed, much less its producer Kojima Productions. And while it didn’t get the game of the year award, what it did do was create a precedent in the way the game was played. For which it was positioned as the game with the best narrative of 2019.
In the same category are Days Gone, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Kingdom Hearts III. Each of these has a unique and entertaining story, with a narrative that breaks with the norm.
Death Stranding, meanwhile, was crowned number one in the best graphics category. It has excellent details of the environment, incredible weather effects and spectacular realism. It was followed on the podium by Resident Evil 2, Modern Warfare and Devil May Cry 5.
For best art direction and action game the winner was Sekiro : Shadows die Twice. All thanks to its amazing handling of the history of Japanese culture and its pure action scenes.
On the other hand, best PS4 game, best performance for the work of Norman Reedus who gives life to Sam Porter (protagonist of the game) and best PlayStation exclusive game.
Other winners to keep an eye on
- Best Multiplayer Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
- Best RPG: Kingdom Hearts III.
- Best Sports Game: Over popular FIFA 20, NBA 2K20 and MLB the Show 19, the winner was Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled. A classic Crash Team Racing remake that filled gamers with nostalgia.
- Best game in progress: Final Fantasy XVI.
- Best independent game: A plague Tale: Innocence (developed by the French company Asobo Studio).
- Best gaming moment of the year: Mr. X in Resident Evil 2.
- Best PS4 Virtual Reality Experience: No Man’s Sky Beyond
- Best studio of the year: Kojima Productions beat out Capcom, Square Enix and Respawn in this category.
By 2020, the most anticipated game for all fans will be the one featuring American actor Keanu Reeves, followed by Final Fantasy VII, Ghost of Tsushima and Marvel’s Avengers.